Saving the planet- and preserving the Shropshire Hills!
Mynd House is located in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, rich in wildlife and natural habitats. We are keen to promote and conserve this beautiful landscape and reduce our carbon footprint.
Here is a summary of our environmental policy.
- We monitor our use of oil, electricity and water – and reduce consumption whenever possible.
- Food and ingredients are purchased locally when available, to support South Shropshire businesses and cut down on food miles.
- Loft and pipe insulation have been installed.
- We have replaced existing light bulbs with low energy bulbs where practical and in areas where lighting is on for a significant time. However, we do use standard lighting where lights are switched on for a short time or where there is ‘ambient’ lighting.
- Our electrical supplier sources 90% of its energy from renewable generators.
- Some of our windows have secondary double glazing.
- We use a wood burner in the lounge on colder evenings, and burn wood from fallen branches in our own garden in the first instance. When we need to buy additional wood, we seek out sustainable sources.
- Much of our litter is recycled, for example, plastic bottles, tins and glass. Newspapers are used in our wood burner and any excess paper is sent to recycling.
- We recycle old towels and linen into dusters and cloths.
- Unwanted furniture and fittings are donated to charities which include our local South Shropshire furniture scheme.
- We utilise the internet and email as a means of distributing invoices, newsletters, brochures, etc.
- We regularly conduct reviews to ensure our operations remain compliant with this environmental policy. We set or revise targets to ensure continual improvement for the future.
Help us to live and work sustainably- support our green policy!
Help us recycle by separating glass, plastic and paper from your waste bins.
Turn off all lights and the TV when you leave your room.
Switch off electrical appliances at the wall when you finish using them.
Avoid dripping taps.
Boil only the amount of water you need for hot drinks.
- Turn your radiator thermostats down to the minimum temperature you find comfortable.
- We operate a towel policy to minimise energy consumption and we only replace towels when requested. We normally service towels every third day of your stay. Please leave any towels you require changing in the bath or shower.
You might like to give your car a holiday while you are with us and try sustainable transport! If so, we have several maps and guides for walking and cycling in the area with numerous routes from our door. Bus timetables (route 435 Shrewsbury to Ludlow) and Rail Timetables are available. Please visit www.bustimes.org.uk, www.minsterleymotors.co.uk, www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk or www.trainline.co.uk or ask us.